Time for a breath?

With the launch on Steam imminent, I was wondering how the devs are feeling? Is it like sending your child off to school the first day?
Congrats to the Systemic Reaction team for all your hard work to get it this far. Have an alcoholic beverage (or two) of your choice, and then get to work in the Xbox edition, so I can join the carnage! :joy:

1 Like

I cant speak on the devs personally but, and I have no association with System Reactions, but from what Ive come to understand about releasing a game is that is much different than I initially thought lol. I originally thought releasing a game was like a fresh breath of air and sigh of relief. The game with 3+ years of work is finally on the market and the devs can take a take or 2 to just relax. They have a pizza day at the office or something.
Now from what I understand its usually one of the more tense days depending on the devs, the game, etc. And this is varies from studio to studio, and comes from both personal experience, and from interviews Ive had working with other indie devs at GDC, PAX, etc. But yeah, it can be very tense, because you are spending the bulk of the release day looking at feedback and reception, and churning out potential bug fixes that are plaguing the game that went unaccounted for during development and QA. Because realistically there is no way for a dev to work out everything. They only have so many facets at the office to work out different scenarios and complications and cant account for all the different types of PC builds and setups around the world from people downloading your game internationally. And what works for one PC might break on another. So theres a lot of bug fixing, and monitoring on the first couple days of release.
But again, this varies and I have no connection with these devs lol. Im just putting in my unasked 2 cents from experience and inner conversations.
That being said I hope the devs do take a breather and get some time to relax. Working on a game can be fun, but you need to give your body and mind some time to just chill.

1 Like

Appreciate the reply and the insight! Yeah, I would have thought “finally and yay it’s done!” Would be the way things were, but you make perfect sense. Something else to consider when giving game feedback, that is for sure!

1 Like

To be honest, I thought the same before I started lol but it also varies from person to person and studio to studio. I guess it just goes to show you that ones work is never really done. I thought the same thing about the art departments too like, what do they do if there are no more concept arts to draw or all the models are done? But the was my blind ignorance to everything before stepping into the industry. Guess you can say that everyone works a little harder than what you actually see on the screen lol.

1 Like

I like to use the term “apprehensive excitement.”

Many of us are on high alert in case things don’t go as expected. Yes, for a lot of folks here, there is a palpable excitement about seeing their baby out in the wild and seeing everyone’s experiences with it. For others, it’s more about the unknown - doing badly or doing really well are equally scary propositions!

it really comes down to: do people like what we worked on? That’s what we’re hoping we achieve

2 Likes

@Elusive thank you for your response. And a massive thank you to you and all the people who have worked hard to bring this to life.
I totally get that nervous anticipation and also the what if’s! I have experienced a much smaller version of that with marketing promotions for work, and had both positive and negative results. But I can’t quite fathom the scale of an international market!
I can’t wait!

I can tell ya I had a AMAZING TIME and I have quite enjoyed the fact you guys take time to respond on forums and talk in discord alot of companies don’t do that and it makes a huge difference in the end. It breaks down the wall and lets players know you ARE THERE and CARE what the players think and feel when they give feedback.

1 Like

100% agree with you @ShawnKiller90